Asbestos is an indoor air pollutant that poses serious threats to human health. Asbestos is a mineral that was commonly used in insulating materials in buildings constructed before 1990. When bonded to other materials, asbestos is relatively harmless, but if its tiny fibers become loosened and airborne, they can embed themselves in the lungs and cannot be expelled. Their presence leads to cancer of the lungs, stomach, and chest lining, and is the cause of a fatal lung disease called mesothelioma.
Moulds are often referred to as black mold, although colour and composition vary. Some molds can be seen and touched, even ingested, and that can cause irritation.
Generally speaking, mould grows where the air is humid. Most will not cause harm, but in large quantities, or when the conditions are right for the mold to produce toxins, adverse health conditions can result.
Mould hides in places like cabinets, basements and crawl spaces, in drywall, and areas with water damage. Bathrooms and kitchens can be breeding grounds for mould spores, because of water use and lack of proper ventilation.
The most common black mould symptoms and health effects are associated with a respiratory response. Chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue, and persistent headaches can all be symptoms of black mould exposure or black mould poisoning.
In particularly severe cases of prolonged exposure, black mould health effects can be more serious. Often compounded by an allergic reaction to the black mould spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
Copyright © 2018 On Command Cleaning and Restoration Services LTD. All Rights Reserved.